Nova Mim

Thursday, May 13, 2004

Angel McBeal

I was watching Ally McBeal reruns the other day and thinking: how did this show go so horribly wrong it's last season? Especially when the previous season was so good?

Of course, I knew the answer to that question. Not enough Ling or John Cage. No Larry at all. Too much Jenny & Glenn. Way too much Jon Bon Jovi & Dame Edna. And worst of all - the add-a-kid. Maddie, I think her name was. Just horrible idea on top of more horrible ideas. But Ally McBeal isn't the point to this post.

Nope this little rant is about another once watchable TV show gone wrong: Angel

What has happened to this show? I was watching it last night, you know, cause there's only 2 episodes left. Oh. my. god. It was dreadful. So much in fact that I had to leave the faux-TiVo to do it's thing and put in a movie instead. Later when I went back to it, I was so glad I had the power of fast forward at my fingertips.

Rewind to the start of this season - I was so looking forward to watching Angel. And I did. I loved the Spike/Angel interactions & you can't go wrong with Harmony, right? I'd learned to like most of the previously added characters: Lorne, Fred, Gunn, etc.

Let's rewind even further, back to Angel's beginning as the spawn of the Buffyverse. I always knew that Angel wasn't gonna be as good as Buffy but it's never been unwatchable. In my opin, the first seasons were the best. Before they completely deleted all signs of the orginal Cordelia. And don't even get me started on Connor. Still, for the most part I kept up with it. But about midseason, I could no longer ignore the fact that it just wasn't keeping my interest anymore.

Luckily, there was a five-week hiatus around this time. In that five weeks I found other things to watch and finally, giving in to the power of The O.C., I had a new Wednesday show. But it wasn't the end of Angel for me yet. Because I now had the power of faux-TiVo in my hands. So I faux-TiVoed The O.C. and watched Angel. Or at least I tried. I could barely get through an episode. So I switched to faux-TiVoing Angel and watching The O.C.

Then Cordelia came back. This episode, You're Welcome, would be the end of my Angel loyalty. Why? Cause they killed Cordelia. Enough said.

Back to last night's show. With The O.C. season over and Angel on it's way out permanently, I said bygones and watched. What a mistake. I was literally cursing Joss Whedon's name by the end of it. I'm still cringing. Mostly at Amy Acker who, as much as I loved as Fred, does not have the skills to pull off a blue-haired meanie. I'm not putting the blame all on that though. Somehow, the TPTB have managed to make Spike uninteresting, Wesley even more uninteresting, and the rest of them just plain awful, Angel included.

So from now until the end of time, this show shall be referred by me as: Angel McBeal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home