Nova Mim

Friday, June 06, 2003

After watching the MTV movie awards last night, I have to wonder if I'm getting old or everyone else is just getting stupid. Was any of that suppose to be funny? It all just seemed really lame to me. I mean in the 2 hour show there were like 2 good moments. And the terrible thing is that it's taped and than edited so those were (probably) all of the best parts. I realize they (MTV) are still trying to be "young and hip" but I wonder if they know that you're not suppose to look like your trying. None of the celebrities seemed very happy about the crappy-jokey intros they had to do for every award. Some of them looked down right angry! (and I don't blame them, who wrote that stuff?)

It all started with a preshow which was co-hosted by Jessica Simpson. Who the fuck is Jessica Simpson? She's constantly on MTV and VH1 talking about her virginity/boyfriend/husband/wedding/yada/yada/yada! But I've never seen her actually do anything. All clues point to her being some sort of b-list pop star who's married to another b-list pop star. Whoever she is she tends to make me cringe everytime she comes on my TV.

So it starts and it's being hosted by one of those "Dude, Where's my Car" guys (the one who's NOT banging Demi Moore) and Justin Timberlake (who I pray will never try to make the leap into acting) Of course first up is one of those movie spoofs (the ones that use to be funny when Ben Stiller and Co. did them), this time it's "The Matrix" and maybe it's just because I intensely dislike "The Matrix" but it just didn't seem at all funny. The whole theme of the show is superheros so we have to sit through 900 really awful Justin and Seann superhero cartoons. Justin Timberlake acted like he'd never been on a stage before, he looked really uncomfortable. And what is with the way he talks? Dude, you're from Tennessee not "da hood!" The other one (Seann) was just his usual ADD self, I'm always glad to see people making a hefty living from just acting stupid or being stupid.

On to the actual awards, there weren't any surprises (in part because MTV announces the winners before the show but mostly because you can usually guess how the youngins' will vote), Eminim, Yoda, Mike Myers, Kirsten Dunst (who seemed a bit like a snotty little rhymes-with-witch), Lord of the Rings, etc. I was glad to see the creepy girl from "The Ring" win best villian. That movie FREAKED me out big time, my TV is close to my bedroom and I could barely close my eyes for the next 7 days without seeing her crawl out of it. Anywho, MTV completely cut out a catagory for no apparent reason (at least from the broadcast), Transatlantic Breakthrough Performer, which was supposedly presented by my favorite transantlantic gossip couple, Posh & Becks. That was a bit annoying...

So as far as I could tell the only highlights of the show were when Gollum "accepted" his award for Best Virtual Performance, the "I got Male" taped speech Eminem gave when he won Best Male Performance,the P. Diddy and Ashton Kutcher intro was funny and the 50 Cent performance. And Elijah Wood, I'm glad he went from cute kid to cute adult. That was about all I enjoyed, although I mildly enjoyed the hideous fashion sense of Tara Reed, Paris Hilton and Pink. Eeek! Ladies, do you own mirrors? As for the t.a.t.u. school girl sex fantasy, I'm sure the male audience appreciated it, but they really should have had a weight limit for those girls. There were a couple in there that I didn't need to see in underwear. Just my opinion.

So that's my take on the MTV movie awards. Like I said maybe I'm just getting old but... no, I'm pretty sure everyone else is just getting stupid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home