Nova Mim

Thursday, August 21, 2003

A couple weeks ago I was wondering if working for the dictionary people was the most boring job on the planet... apparently not. At least if you work for The Oxford English Dictionary where they added over 3,000 new words and phrases this year!

Nothing too ‘Eeyorish’ about new dictionary

The entire 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary costs $2862! Do you think you can take out a loan for a dictionary?

Among the phrases they've added:

blog
muppet
eeyorish
egosurfing
bada bing
24/7

I wonder if the addition of the word blog will inspire the blogger people to add it to their spell check??

Meanwhile, I've been using the phrase bada bing for years and I've never seen the Sopranos - which the media seems to be crediting it to. I'm pretty sure that it was used it in The Godfather... I guess though that it doesn't matter where I picked it up; it sounds like they only accept words that have "officially entered common usage in the United Kingdom."

Word snobs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home