Nova Mim

Thursday, April 24, 2003

I had the strangest flashback this morning while eating breakfast. No, not that kind of flashback, everyone knows that Michelle only abuses legal substances! Anyway, don't ask me why this incident popped into my head...

Picture it: Jouster's Pub, 1999. It was the Saturday dinner rush. I believe I was filling in for Marcia, Marcia, Marcia. As usual, all hell is breaking loose in the kitchen. Our cooks and our "fearless leader" Craig are having some sort of power struggle back by the grill and punching things (like freezer doors) seems to be all that keeps them from punching each other. Suddenly, Heather needs a slice of cake and observing "dumb kitchen rule #31" she politely asks the 2 pre-qualified dessert slicers, Jeff and Craig, to perform their duty. Of course, this does not go over to well with them as they are both currently doing more important things (like punching freezer doors) and much snapping ensues between the 3 of them. Heather, finally fed up with the kitchen politics, grabs the largest knife in the entire kitchen, marches over to the cake (gripping the knife rather psychotically I might add), and slices a beautiful piece of cake while proclaiming, quite loudly, that "people who can't handle it shouldn't own restaurants."

I was never prouder of her at that moment. Well, actually at that particular moment we were all a little scared of her... let's just say nobody moved an inch until Heather put the knife down. (The extreme proudness came later, when Craig tried his usual "after dinner apology" on her and she didn't back down. I believe she told him that he "can't just turn into an asshole every time we get a little rush.") But that's not the point to my story...

As I remembered all this over my bowl of Cinnamon Life, I just suddenly remembered that when we all (Rocky,Sage,Heather,Alyssia,Me) worked at Jouster's there was a guy server who worked there, too. What's weird is that, until this morning, I seemed to have completely blocked out all memory of this guy. As I'm normally the one who remembers all the details that everyone else forgets, this is slightly troubling to me. The more I thought about it, I remembered that he was in college, had a girlfriend, and was really nice but never stayed and hung out/drank with us after the dining room closed. But I can't for the life of me remember what he looks like or what his name is.

Which one of my scooby gang will help me solve this mystery?

While your thinking about it, check out this retro review from our much missed hangout. Hmmm... "the pub seems to cater to a more sophisticated crowd," that's a good one!