Nova Mim

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I Have Fond Memories of Submarine Tag

I just heard Sage say, "I have fond memories of dodgeball."

Hee. Those are words I never thought I'd hear from anyone in my lifetime. He must have been really good at dodgeball, that's all I can think. He also swears that he never had to do that President's Challenge thing. I'm suspicious about that one.

I don't think I have any fond memories of P.E. - but recess that's another story. Clearly Westfield's playground was built way before lawsuits ruled the world. There was one playground moniter to watch over an acre of danger. We had a huge slide built on a hill so when you walked up the ladder you were at a weird angle. And a huge wooden climber with a scary bridge. One time in 1st or 2nd grade this kid Matt was standing underneath the climber bridge when a sixth grader jump on it. It split his head open something nasty. Even though he ended up being fine we dubbed it the "Climber of Death" after that (I didn't say we were clever 2nd graders). From then on, recess was split up so that little kids were "safe" from big kids. There were also balance beams that us lil' gymnasts used to do cartwheels & flips on and off of. Yikes. I'm lucky my spinal cord is intact. Then there was this giant metal climber that kids would climb up to slide down the middle pole. Kids used to fall off that thing constantly. Broken wrist here. Sprained ankle there. And don't even get me started on those wood chips that "cushioned" the fall. Ah, good times.

Of course, I never got hurt on any of that crap. No, it was the tether ball that nearly did me in. OK, I'm being dramatic again but have you ever got the tether ball rope twisted around your hand when it's going full speed? Ow. Technically, I only chipped a bone in my right middle finger but it coinciding with the President's Challenge and ruined any hope I had of do a chin-up. The dumb bitch P.E. instructer made me hang there anyway. Double Ow. And then she made me try to climb that f*cking rope, too. It was all quite painful, trust me.

None of that stuff is there anymore. No hill slide. No balance beams. No cool wooden climber. I feel a little sorry for kids these days with their wussy plastic playground equipment. But they'll always have wood chips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home